I’m pretty sure you’ve all heard of a bucket list. If you haven’t, it’s basically a list you make of everything you want to do before you die. Bucket lists where perhaps made a little bit more famous with the movie starring Jack Nicholson. If you haven’t watched it, it’s a great movie, and yes, it made me cry!
But this is not a movie review so how does this relate to business? Well, I’ve made a ‘Business Bucket List’. As a business owner, I set my goals every year of what I want to achieve and then review them at the end of every year. But this year I decided to have some fun with it and make my Bucket List too. They are items I may not achieve, but at least they are on my list and even if I don’t achieve them all, they will give me a smile when I review them.
Here are some of them:
- Earn enough money to start buying investment properties through a Self Managed Super Fund
- Buy a beach house, on a cliff top, surrounded by trees with water views
- Holiday each year (during winter) in a warm, tropical location (the Maldives look amazing)
- Drive a hot sports car with my business branded on it (black with my purple logo)
- Become a well known writer across Australia, and then the world
- Shoot my alarm clock to escape the weekday routine
- Carry on my business long enough to one day employ my daughter who at 11, is already an awesome writer (my genes of course!)
As you can see, they are not the hard and fast goals that you would usually set yourself. They may be pipe dreams, but hey, if I do achieve any of them one day, I will be so super chuffed!
So go on, have a little bit of fun and write your own Business Bucket List. I’m going to print mine out on some coloured paper, frame it and hang it on my wall. Then everyday when I’m procrastinating and day dreaming, I can see my Bucket List and kick myself up the butt to keep working to maybe one day achieve these goals.